Monday, October 8, 2007

Is Smoking Around Children Child Abuse?

This is a very difficult subject, yet one that I feel very strongly about. I cannot emphasize to my readers and to my patients on how dangerous smoking is for their own health. Studies have shown that it is even more dangerous to smoke around others. For those who cannot fight back, our children, I feel the need to speak out. There are many times when I ask one of my patients who is having difficulty breathing if they still smoke. (Smokers lungs have a definite way that they sound) When they tell me that they have never smoked, I am surprised, then I am appalled when they tell me that their parents smoked or their spouse smoked.
The damage that smoking causes to the lungs is irrefutable. The damage that a smoker can cause to their children's lungs is absolutely terrible. If we could see the damage on the outside that the smoking is causing on the inside, I believe that parents all over would either quit smoking, or be arrested for child abuse charges.

One of my good friend's husband used to smoke around his daughter...she has cystic fibrosis. I told her many times to call the police for child endangerment. She finally divorced him, one of the reasons being, that he loved his cigarettes more than he loved his children. I couldn't agree more.

There is a new drug out called Chantix. Several of my chain smoking friends who are RN's and RRT's have quit smoking with this drug. To quit smoking, the number one thing is that you have to want to quit smoking.

It is my belief that smoking around children hurts them. Therefore, it is my belief that smoking around children is indeed child abuse.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work! This is the kind of information that should be shared around the internet.
Shame on the search engines for noow not positioning this submit upper!
Come on over and talk over with my site . Thank you =)

Also visit my blog post ... bathroom remodeling youtube

We recommend: