Monday, October 8, 2007

Chantix: The New Quit Smoking Drug--Does it Really Work?


Can I have a Whoooooo hooooo? A drug that actually will work for those who want to quit smoking.

I work in the health care field. As a matter of fact, I am a Respiratory Therapist. Now you would think that amongst those who deal with people who cannot breathe because they have smoked, you would think that they would be able to quit. Well, I hate to tell you, heath care professionals can get addicted too.

One day my friend told me that in a few months her daughter was going to have a baby. My friend, a chain smoker, who loved smoking was going to be a grandmama. I told her that she had to quit smoking. Her daughter encouraged me in trying to get her to work on her smoking addiction. Soon after that, she came into work and told me that she honestly had quit smoking and the way she had done it was with Chantix. One of the RN's that I know has quit and two other Respiratory Therapists have quit.

Here is my disclaimer: Nothing will work for a person who does not wish to quit smoking. Some people enjoy smoking and they absolutely do not want to quit. Guess what, Chantix will not work for them...nothing will work for them short of dying from suffocation from not being able to breathe.

Go to a Pulmonologist or an internal medicine doctor who is very familiar with the new drug. Sometimes they will start a person on Welbutrin and Chantix. It all depends on the doctor. I recommend Pulmonologist, because the lungs are their specialty.

If you want to quit smoking, give Chantix a try. I hope that it will work for you.

1 comment:

Debbie_Lynn said...

I recently quit smoking with Chantix ( 3 months ago) & I LOVE this program.

It includes a prescription medication that is taken 1/day for a week, then 2/day throughout.

They have awesome support through email, their site for users of the Chantix, telephone calls that they make to you (recorded), & motivational or supportive numbers that you can call at your convenience (also recorded). Or when you need them, there is a hotline with real expert coaches at the other end of the line!

Another great feature of this program is that you have support even after you're done with the program -- for a whole year after! They even keep track of how much money you've saved by quitting!

For me this was the best program. Give it some thought & talk to your doctor.

We recommend: